CMS panel crashes and burns at Inbound Marketing Summit

by on September 14, 2011

The mythbusters have a quorum here at the Inbound Marketing Summit in Boston, talking analytics and sitting in on some of the packed sessions. Spoiler alert: Digital marketing is a hot topic.

We of course attended the CMS panel featuring vendors Sitecore, Ektron, Percussion and Brideline. All smart folks and good companies we know pretty well, both personally and professionally.

However, this panel seemed to miss it’s mark. I won’t call it a revolt, but the Twitter back channel did weigh in heavy. The good news is that the panelists were in good spirits and have a few good lessons learned for the next IMS.

Here’s a snapshot of what unfolded.

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Scott Liewehr September 14, 2011 at 10:37 am

Great write-up Jeff, as painful as it was to live through! :-/ It’s tough for anyone to follow Chris Brogan and Brian Halligan, but there’s no question we missed the mark with this discussion. Wish I’d been reading the hashtag live…maybe it could’ve been salvaged. Oh well, onto the cocktail party!

2 Brett Zucker September 14, 2011 at 2:33 pm

This is valuable and very needed feedback Jeff — although the title is a little harsh. :-/ Too many topics with not enough depth or substance. The one topic I think would be great to build on with its own panel or blog post was the reduction of implementation costs (not engagement cost) as dollars shift from development to strategy (before and after development). I appreciate everyone’s time and feedback from today. On to the cocktail party!

3 Jeff Cram September 14, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Thanks guys – and yes, the headline was a bit exaggerated. Was just trying to curate the moment. The mythbusters can be on the snarky side. Great seeing you both today!

4 Derek Edmond September 14, 2011 at 5:58 pm

It is interesting to read this post and I wish I had seen the panel live, in particular since I have experience with Sitecore, Percussion, and WordPress/Drupal type implementations. It also means I am commenting a bit blind to the context within (so I hope that is alright).

There definitely is a disconnect between the two levels of users you mention and needs in a CMS. That said, it does seem like costs associated to a WordPress/Drupal implementation, that rivals what a larger organization would need, are beginning to escalate to a point where proprietary CMS implementations can at least be considered.

5 Joseph Wykes September 16, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Jeff, I am glad that you chose to post this and on the whole, it is apparent that there was a miss. While I did have some folks came up to me afterwards and comment that the discussion was useful, on the whole we might have done better if we made this a break out session. The positive tweets were glaringly lonely.

@tyler_golden did tweet during the panel “Joe Wykes just made a great point about the responsibility of bringing down costs. I completely agree. #ims11″

IMHO, what got lost in the discussion was how a CMS product should enable marketers to be more effective in getting their content to work for them. Having said that, I was not prepared to allow the attendees to be left with the suggestion that CMS can solve all of their problems, without any attention being given to costs and effort. I also felt that having an open source option in the panel would have been a great idea. Sadly this was not recorded either.

Finally, my point about costs was that CMS suppliers have a responsibility to reduce costs as this market matures. Unfortunately that got mis-represented. Here at Percussion we recognize as well as anyone how complex these projects can be and that is why, as I said on the panel, that 2 years ago we made a strategic decision to solve this by developing Percussion CM1. Of course we are not finished but great progress is being made. We are committed to reducing software costs, rather than driving up implementation costs that would be better spent on innovation.

It would be great to have an opportunity to sit down with you and the ISITE folks to discuss this further. I believe that you would be really interested to see how this would free you up from having to build custom CMS functionality.
@josephwykes

6 Jeff Cram September 17, 2011 at 9:30 am

Thanks for the reply Joseph. I think we can all agree CMS implementations need to get less expensive and easier, especially for the common use cases. Unfortunately the short panel didn’t have enough time to do the topic justice. It’s something I hope to explore in more detail in the blog. I’d also welcome the chance to see what Percussion has cooking at some point.